31 January 2012

Claudette Colvin Twice Toward Justice

Title: Claudette Colvin, Twice Toward Justice
Author: Phillip Hoose
ISBN: 978-0-374-31322-7
Copyright: 2009

Happy February and welcome to Black History Month.  Since I have really been enjoying the Children's Room biography collection I thought it would be worthwhile to include an excellent older book.

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice is one of the best stories about the Civil Rights Movement that most people have never heard before.  All children (and adults) have heard the story of Rosa Parks refusing to get off a city bus.  What if I told you that Claudette Colvin did the SAME thing 9 months before Rosa Parks?  Certainly makes the reader wonder why if Claudette refused to give up her seat on March 2, 1955 we have never heard of her.

In this biography written by Phillip Hoose readers will learn Claudette's story including how after her bus protest she was shunned by her classmates for causing trouble and deemed an unfit role model for the black community.  Phillip Hoose's book is based extensively on interviews with Claudette and other civil rights leaders.  4th-6th graders will love getting to learn more about the Montgomery bus protests as well as how Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa Parks became the leaders that they became.

So there is your educational book for the month.  Check back over the rest of the month to see different chapter books and picture books for Black History Month

P.S.  I hate this book cover - it definitely doesn't make me want to read the book, but please trust me that the story is awesome, and don't judge a book by it's cover!

2 comments:

  1. I heard about this book as it was on of the books featured on The Book Report radio show (www.bookreportradio.com) and now here, so I definitely think I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jack, I also heard the extract on The Book Report, it sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete